Recamán's sequence - Recursive LAMBDA vs. REDUCE

Silver Contributor

I've been studying recursion by taking on some of the well known integer sequences.  This post examines two solutions for creating Recamán's sequence.

Recamán's sequence - Wikipedia

A005132 - OEIS

Recamán's sequence: The Rules

• Start at 0 (Element position also begins at 0) and avoid 0 after the start.
  • Avoid negatives
  • Subtract whenever possible, otherwise add
  • Subtraction: Previous Element - Current Element Position
  • Addition: Previous Element + Current Element Position
  • If the results of Subtraction would mean adding a number that's already appeared in the list, Add.
  • If the results of Subtraction and Addition would be adding a repeat, Subtract.
  • There will be some repeats but the above rules mimimize them

Example

Elementa(n) 
00Start at Zero
11The result of subtraction would be be -1 (0 - 1), so we add
23The result of subtraction would be be -1 (1 - 2), so we add
36The result of subtraction would be 0 (3-3), so we add
42The result of subtraction is 2 (6-4) and not already in list

The Recursive Solution

'Recamán
=LAMBDA(a,v,IF(
    n = 1,
    start,
    Recamán(
        LET(
            r, ROWS(start),
            v, TAKE(start, -1),
            subtract, v - r,
            add, v + r,
            arith, IF(
                v = 0,
                IF(AND(subtract > 0, ISERROR(XMATCH(subtract, start))), subtract, add)
            ),
            VSTACK(start, arith)
        ),
        n - 1
    )
))

The REDUCE solution

'GenArray
=LAMBDA(a,v,LET(
    subtract, TAKE(a, -1) - v,
    add, TAKE(a, -1) + v,
    outcome, IF(AND(subtract > 0, ISERROR(XMATCH(subtract, a))), subtract, add),
    VSTACK(a, outcome)
))

'RecamánR
=LAMBDA(n,REDUCE(, SEQUENCE(n, , 0), GenArray))

The Results

Patrick2788_0-1681842413032.png

Discussion

I'm interested in the recursive approach despite the limitations. I'm also interested in a Lambda/helper solution that's more efficient than the above approach with REDUCE.

2 Replies

@Patrick2788 I don't have an answer, just to comment. It is a very elegant solution, I was reviewing the REDUCE approach, and how you simplified the following:

Recaman=LAMBDA(n,REDUCE(, SEQUENCE(n,,0), 
 LAMBDA(ac, a, GenArray(ac,a))));

replacing the second LAMBDA with the the function name. As you mentioned it is not efficient. I was thinking to use XMATCH with binary search, but the sequence is not sorted. I have seen with other similar applications of REDUCE/VSTACK pattern the same lack of performance. I would say something for Microsoft to improve. I added this feedback, in case you want to vote: Improve performance of REDUCE/VSTACK or REDUCE/HSTACK. 

The Racaman sequence hasn't been studied too much compared to Fibonacci, so I could not find any indirect calculation that would avoid recursion or iteration. 

@davidleal Thank you for the reply. I voted for your feedback and left a comment.

re: calculation performance -  I've been looking for some technical documentation on Lambda helper functions for a while. I'd like a resource that's much more in depth than the standard support page for functions.  I'm interested in how the functions calculate so I can pick the best ones for the situation.

re: efficiency

I'm attaching a sample to this post where OFFSET proves to be a better option than TAKE in creating dynamic ranges for a tree map chart.  It was a situation where the data could not be tabled.