Real time Microsoft Forms results in Excel Worksheet

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I want to use Microsoft forms for an invoice in excel. I have made the invoice, which automatically collects data from the Excel table opened with Microsoft Forms, but when a new response has been filled in, the table used for the invoice is not updated. Does anyone know if it is possible to automatically add new Forms responses to an Excel table, or to obtain the data in another way?

Thanks in advance,

Suzanne Kepel

31 Replies

@Suzanne_01 

Hi

When you open the the Form in Microsoft Forms, you have 2 tabs at the top >> Click on the Responses Tab.MS Forms.png

in the Upper right side there is an option saying: Open in Excel

If your excel file is saved in the clouds (oneDrive) then it updates to include new responses.

If you click on the elipses, there is an option to print the responses or delete them.

Hope that helps

Nabil Mourad

Hi,
I saved it on OneDrive, but when I fill in a new response, it isn't added to the existing Excel..
Do you know what the problem might be?

Thanks already for the help

@Suzanne_01 

Hi Suzanne

I assume you started creating your survey in Microsoft Forms and you try to view responses in Excel.

try to initially create your survey by using Forms in Excel Online: Insert Tab of the Ribbon >> Survey (or Form) and go from There.
Save the File in the clouds
Test responses

Hope that helps
Nabil Mourad

My Excel online doesn't display a survey button in the insert tab. I have a paid 365 account. do I need to enable something. thanks

@Osaz112 

"Survey" button is gone long ago, use "Forms" button instead

image.png

@Sergei Baklan thank you for your response. My problem is that the Forms button does not show in the insert tab. Consequently, Excel does not populate in real-time

@Osaz112 

That's in Excel Online. You open/create new file on SharePoint site / OneDrive, open it in Excel Online, insert Forms and create survey using Forms, all responses will be collected here. Once it synced with Forms you may open it in desktop version if that's more suitable.

Just in case, that's quite old announcement of this functionality Forms for Excel, new experience for Excel survey in Office 365 - Microsoft Tech Community

@Sergei Baklan 

Sorry, but I do not see the option "forms" in Excel online. What am I doing wrong?

@rinkenpeter 

If

- you are Office365 subscriber; and

- you are on business or educational subscription; and

- your Excel file is saved on SharePoint site / OneDrive

when it shall be Forms in Insert section of the ribbon menu.

I think I know what the real problem is. I have the same problem too but did not make a solution yet. However, please look into this. I assume you used power automate to collect the response from MS forms right? now, In the Power Automate, you put in the "Add row into a table" if you do this, I think, the existing formula on your Worksheet will not recognize this new row.

Ex: Sheet1 A1-A5 has existing data. then you make formula on the next sheet (Sheet2) collecting the info from A1-A5 and extend your formula upto A10. When a new response comes in. In Sheet 1 it will be A6, but in the formula. A6 will be gone because it adds a new row in sheet1, yes it is in A6 on sheet1, however. the formula assigned to A6 in Sheet2 cannot recognize the NEW row and therefore the formula for A6 will be gone. you can check your sheet2 that the formula for A6 gone. its like, A5,A7,A8 and so on. Hope this give you the idea. Because it did to me. :)
Can we use the different eForm to collect data and populate the info into the same workbook but different worksheet?

@JJade 

Nope, that doesn't work. 

@Sergei Baklan
How about same eFORM but using power automate ? I manage to use power automate to split the data with "condition" function used. But the data will goes to different workbook. Any idea how to put the data under same workbook, different worksheet?

@JJade 

I didn't try, but most probably yes. Power Automate allows you to add row to any table in any file. Dynamic content for row could be taken from data triggered by Microsoft Forms.

@rinkenpeter I also do NOT see the forms button in the menu.  How do I activate this?  It would be nice to have an MS form fill into a live worksheet, similar to what google forms and sheets can do.

@franklinam38 , are you on business or consumer subscription? If business which one?

Office 365 E3 - Business

@franklinam38 

Thank you. I'm also on E3.

Menu is available in Excel for web (not desktop app)

image.png

@Sergei Baklan 

franklinam38_0-1640018515362.png

I think I got it figured out. The form button does not appear on an already active workbook but DOES appear when creating a new workbook. I knew it had to be something simple.

franklinam38_1-1640018645292.png