SOLVED

"Can't find project of library" error with latest Insider update

Copper Contributor

After today's Excel Insider update I get the error "Can't find project or library". Normally this means that I need to go into the Visual Basic/Tools/References dialog and make any corrections but after this update the References dialog no longer appears. This is true only after a document that has a problem is opened, even when opening in Safe Mode. 

Documents that don't use this unknown reference don't cause the error and I can open the References dialog whenever a document that doesn't use a missing reference is opened, but I can't open the References dialog when there is a bad reference in the Excel and therefore I can't correct the problem. 

Is there any other way to open this dialog for a particular file, or is there some way I can read what references are expected in a given file and install/reinstall them?

2 Replies

@ found that I was able to open the file that was causing this error on a Macbook and in that version of Excel I was able to save the document and edit the References. I was able to reestablish the proper references and reopen it in Windows/Excel without the error. 

The problem still exists however that whenever there is a failure to the references in Windows/Excel that users may not be able to open the VB/Tools/References dialog and fix the problem. I suspect that not everyone has both a Macbook and Windows platform to work around the issue.

1 best response