Quick Access Toolbar keeps disappearing in Excel

Copper Contributor

Each time I open an excel workbook, the QAT is gone.  I can fix it to have it reappear and save the file.  When I open the workbook again, the QAT has disappeared.  What gives?

Thank you.

Dorn

3 Replies

@dapper49 

The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) in Excel can be customized to include frequently used commands and features for easy access. If the QAT disappears each time you open the workbook, it's possible that the QAT settings are not being saved with the workbook. Here are a few possible solutions:

1. Check the settings: Click the dropdown arrow at the end of the QAT and select "More Commands". In the Excel Options window that appears, make sure that "Customizations" is selected in the left pane and that "For all documents (default)" is selected in the "Customize the Ribbon" dropdown. This should ensure that your QAT settings are applied to all workbooks.

2. Save the QAT settings: Once you have customized your QAT, make sure to save the settings by clicking the "Import/Export" button in the Excel Options window and selecting "Export all customizations". This will save your QAT settings to a file that you can import later if needed.

3. Repair Office: It's possible that there is a problem with your Office installation that is causing the QAT settings to not be saved properly. Try repairing your Office installation by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features, selecting Microsoft Office from the list of programs, and clicking "Change". In the Office setup window that appears, select "Quick Repair" and follow the prompts.

Hopefully one of these solutions will resolve the issue and allow your QAT settings to be saved with your workbook.

@Rr_ 

Thank you for your help.  I tried each of your suggestions, but the problem kept occurring. 

But I noticed that the problem was only on worksheets that had external links,

I found out that I could go to Data >Queries and Connections > Edit Links.  then I clicked on the Startup prompt. I chose "Don't display the alert and update links".  It automatically updates links and the QAT always appears,

Now I think all is good once again.  Thanks.

@dapper49 

Options > Quick Access Toolbar - check the Show Quick Access Toolbar checkbox.