Question re: Credential Verification when Excel Power Query Link to SharePoint List

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have a question about how user authentication works when connecting to a SharePoint List through Excel Power Query. Wondering if anyone has encountered this before, and could shed some light on this!

Here's the story:

I have a SharePoint List that is being used as the backend for a PowerApp. The list is shared with multiple users, and I don't want any of the users to be able to directly access the list and its contents (I want them to have limited access, which is managed through my PowerApp. I share the SP List with the users, without giving them permission to the Root SharePoint site.

My question is, if an user somehow gets access to the URL for my SharePoint site, and try to connect to the site through Excel Power Query, would they be able to do so and then see the lists? They do not have permission to the site, only the list is shared with them.

Thank you all in advance! 

1 Reply
I am seeking a similar answer here...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/power-query-sharepoint/m-p/2898143#M120009

Might be worth keeping an eye on. Sorry I can't be more helpful.