Question: Open Recovered Workbooks

Copper Contributor

Using Excel for Mac v16.6 - I just returned to my laptop to find an open workbook that I was working on a few hours ago now has a message in a banner across the top of it that reads:

"Open recovered workbooks? Your recent changes were saved. Do you want to continue working where you left off? Yes or No"

Three messages posing as one message with a simple "yes or no" prompt. Hmmm...I'm sure these three messages are related but how they relate to one another is not clear to me. So before I click "Yes" or "No" I was hoping to get clarity on just what Excel is trying to tell me / ask me, and how that will affect my open workbook which I've spent many long days and longer nights creating.

Message One:

"Open recovered workbooks?" Seeing this on a workbook that is already open makes me wonder if the open workbook is the same as when I stepped away from it a few hours ago or...is the "recovered workbook" the most recent version? If so then is there something wrong with the workbook that is currently open display this this message? 

Message Two:

"Your recent changes were saved." Does this mean the recent changes were saved to this open workbook or...does it mean they were saved to the "recovered workbook"? 

Message Three:

"Do you want to continue working where you left off?" I always want to continue where I left off but would that be  in the open workbook I'm looking at now or a "recovered worksheet" saved somewhere else?

Yes or No:

So what happens if I click of "yes"? What happens if I click on "no"?

Thanks for your help.

2 Replies

how do i get rid of this message when i open excel: 

open recovered workbooks?  Your recent changes were saved.

Do you want to continue working where you left off?

Has anyone answered Kid Charlemagne's VALID complaint and long-standing "treat the clients as a jerk" Microsoft mystery???