Put an Excel document online

Copper Contributor

Hi

I made in Excel (office 365, latest version - xlsx format) a predictive model dedicated to the Collatz conjecture (aka 3x+1 problem).

I would like to put it online so that users can enter parameters and see the results.

I want users to only have access to settings and not be able to change the structure of the document in any way. I can group parameters and results in the same tab. Ideally, the other tabs wouldn't be accessible or even visible.

Is it possible and how?

best

PMF

8 Replies

Hello @PMF_EXCEL,

Your best option would be to use either Excel Online or Google Sheets. I am not as familiar with Google Sheets but I assume that you are able to protect or hide your worksheets just as in Excel.

@PMF_EXCEL OneDrive offers an Embed feature which generates code to embed your file in any web page.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Hi Jan. Good news. Where can I get a tutorial about this feature ?

Best
PMF_EXCEL

With the workbook open in Excel Online, click Share > Embed, and then click the Generate button.
In the next step, you decide how exactly you want your spreadsheet to appear on the web.
thanks. I'm going to try it.

@PMF_EXCEL 

I've made my Excel sheet with protected cells then saved it on Onedrive.

I follow the procedure 

In OneDrive, right-click the workbook, and then click Embed.

Click Generate, and then click Customize how this embedded workbook will appear to others.

But i'm completely lost to control what happens next

I've protected all the worksheet in exception oof those two cells. Then I want to publish a link on a forum in order any people may connect anonymously on a web page to acccess to this sheet. I want them to modify only two cells (not protected) and see the results. But I don't want they can acess to my ondrive or any of my files.
How to do that ?

Thanks PMF_EXCEL

@PMF_EXCEL 

If you protect the worksheet and make sure only input cells are unlocked, the user can only edit those cells. This is done easiest using desktop Excel.

When setting the advanced embed options, you can select a dedicated area to display rather than the entire workbook. Also, you can edit the iframe code that OneDrive gives you and remove the download button by changing "wdDownloadButton=True" to "wdDownloadButton=False".

Of course the user can still look at the html code of your page using the developer options most modern browsers have and copy the iFrame code and modify it so that they can download your file.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Hi

No easy to spot this code line you've mentionned

I've got this as "embedded code"

<iframe width="700" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=743E02E4A2D8A0FA%2157598&authkey=%21AIdyMOTboM-kz64&em=2&wdAll...>