Pulling word data into excel

Copper Contributor

Hi all. New to posting here. In addition to many things, I serve as our IT tech support for our small nonprofit. We've recently hired a new employee who says that at a previous employer (a very large company) they "had a macro that would automatically fill in data to an excel spreadsheet when that data is put into word".  Some context: we use a word template document for all intakes that we complete. We need a good system to track these intakes. We've been using a word document with just a list of names and brief info. The employee believes there's a way that when we type in the name on the word document it would automatically add that name to an excel spreadsheet. I've never heard of this and neither has my go-to expert on all things office/microsoft. Anyone heard of this and know how to do it? 

1 Reply

@amandamy 

I don't have a direct answer to your direct question. But if I may, I find myself wondering why you don't just enter the information directly into Excel from the start of the intake process?

Are you currently transposing the data manually from the Word document/template into Excel or some other tracking system?