Protect function not working

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to protect an excel workbook so that I can send it to others as a .xlsx file (cannot save as PDF as the model is too large) so they can view it in excel but not make changes. I've tried to protect function with a password but when I save it, exit, email it to my other email address to test, I can still open the file and make changes without being asked for a password. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jack

3 Replies

@jacka22 

Here is an instruction with video step by step instructions.

Protect an Excel file

Excel for Microsoft 365 Excel for Microsoft 365 for Mac Excel 2019 Excel 2016 Excel 2019 for Mac Excel 2013 Excel 2010 Excel 2007 Excel 2016 for Mac

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

@NikolinoDE Thank You. I saw this video, although this protection does not work either. I am trying to protect the workbook so that when other users open it, they can see the cells but cannot edit anything.

Anyway to do that?

Thanks!

@jacka22 

If you still get stuck with these instructions, send me a file (without sensitive data) in the next 10 minutes with a description of the cells that you want to block and any areas ... whatever you want to protect.

Protect a worksheet

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/protect-a-worksheet-3179efdb-1285-4d49-a9c3-f4ca36276de6?...

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)