Problem selecting 2 columns

Copper Contributor

I am having problems selecting just two columns (AI&AU) so i can unhide the columns between them. It worked perfectly 2 days ago but when i came in yesterday i started having this issue. Once i select the two columns it automatically selects all columns from (A to AU). I have tried multiple ways "click and drag, click then shift+click, click then ctrl+click) and it always selects all the columns again. I can go to any other computer in my office and open the same files and it works perfectly, only (AI&AU) get selected and I can unhide the columns. I was thinking it was a glitch in Excel so I uninstalled and reinstalled office 365 but the problem remained. Any help would be great. I am posting 2 pictures to show what I mean. First is my laptop selection, the second is from another laptop in my office.

My laptopMy laptopOther laptopOther laptop

7 Replies
Hello,

Can you upload a sample file to test

@Reese0411 

On these two laptops do you have exactly the same version/build# of the Office or they are different?

@Abiola1 Attached is one sample file.

They use to be the same version/build number. But when i uninstalled and reinstalled to try to fix the problem it installed a newer version. Capture.PNG @Sergei Baklan 

@Reese0411 

Why I asked that was a bug with related issue in some builds. Do you have the same on updated version?

Yes, updated version has the same issue. It seems to be related to the a couple rows are merged across the column's. If i was to unmerge the rows then I can select columns just fine. But why can I do it on every other computer in my office just fine without having to unmerge the rows? @Sergei Baklan 

@Reese0411 

Have no idea - same build, same file, it shall be the same behavior.

In general it's better to avoid merged cells at all. Could you lease check on attached file, I removed merged cells and change formatting on Center Across Selection instead.