Power Query

Copper Contributor

Good Evening,

To anyone out there familiar with Power Query in Office 365 Excel, I need some help getting it going.

The problem I'm encountering, is when I am going through the tutorial and following the steps until I get to the bottom tab that indicates to Import Data from Web. When I get to click Ctrl V, I get an error message window saying, "Unexpected Error," Something went wrong. If the problem continues, please restart Excel." Well, the problem is continuing, because that appears to be the problem that won't let me try anything else other than "Copy detail", or "Send a frown".

Can someone help?

12 Replies

@ricgarcia67 

That's interesting. Could you please to give bit more details - what do you paste on which step and into which field.

@Sergei Baklan 

The link is directly copied from "Import data from web" tab below on the tutorial as instructed. And tried to paste, but nothing happens except the error window

@ricgarcia67660 

Sorry, but I have no idea about which tutorial do we speak about.

Spoiler

@Sergei Baklan 

It's the Excel office 365

@Sergei Baklan 

It's under the suggested searches in the tutorials that are in the New menu

@ricgarcia67660 

That's tons of suggested tutorials which are changed from to time in Suggested area. I guess this one

image.png

Sheet 14 says these sheets will be needed when you work with videos

image.png

In the same sheet there is the link on videos

image.png

If you open this web page and start with this video

image.png

it instructs you to copy the link you mentioned and what to do with it after that.

@Sergei Baklan 

It's at the point where even getting to open the power query on the Excel, brings up the "Unexpected Error", message.

@ricgarcia67660 

If you follow all tutorial instructions literally it shall be no such errors. On which exactly version of Excel and Power Query you are and on which exactly step such error appeared? I'll try to reproduce if you give more details, better with screenshots. 

@Sergei Baklan 

I appreciate your help. This is a new computer in which I am using Office 365. I haven't even the clue where my screen images are when I try to take a screen shot of the error message.

The error comes when I click File, then New, then Get to know Power Query.

Then when it tries to open, the error pops up and can't continue any more.

@Sergei Baklan 

I'm trying, as much as possible to follow the steps, but the error keeps coming up. I am not trying to skip any steps since this is new to me and I want to make sure I learn how to do this properly and efficiently. I don't even know who or if there is anyone in Microsoft tech to contact to ask them the question as to why this is happening.

@ricgarcia67660 

Without knowing of what exactly you are doing it's hard to help. Screenshot it's easy to generate, simplest way click Win+Shift+S to take it and copy to the clipboard, answering on post select Image icon

image.png

here click at any place in grey zone and Ctrl+V. Done after you see it.

Microsoft support - you may open the ticket if you pay for the support, otherwise this forum or answers.microsoft.com.