SOLVED

Power Query/.net controlled windows not opening in excel

Copper Contributor

No problems until last week.  Now when I try and launch power query I just get the loading .net framework notification at the bottom of the screen and excel locks.  It totally feels like power query is open - I just cannot see it.  Other windows do not work either - eg the contact support windows are just blank - I am sure it has something to do with .Net rather than power query itself.

I am on the latest version of office 365.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled,  repaired, removed Custom XML data,  Turned .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8 off.  and back on.  etc etc.  Kicked the laptop.  And stroked it.  From googling this issue it does seem to appear often enough to be a real issue - but then people reporting it just seem to disappear before any resolution is posted - is this  a self resolving issue?   Other people in this org do not have same issue.   It has been like it for 5 days now and I am close to throwing the whole kit out the window (as you can imagine).

1 Reply
best response confirmed by RuthHacche (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I think I have found my solution. When I work in the office my laptop sits to the left of my screen. At home it sits to the right of my screen. I suspect I did not shut down excel when I last left the office and power query has remained positioned off to the right of my laptop - not visible at home. I used to have this problem with Sage windows. The answer is quite easy
1 Make sure the application is selected (choose it in the taskbar, or use the ALT-TAB keys to select it).
2Type and hold down ALT-SPACE, then type M. (IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are working on a remote desktop or cloud, use ALT-DELETE instead if ALT-SPACE.)
3Your mouse pointer will change to have 4 arrows and you can move the window back into view.
I do hope this helps people.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RuthHacche (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I think I have found my solution. When I work in the office my laptop sits to the left of my screen. At home it sits to the right of my screen. I suspect I did not shut down excel when I last left the office and power query has remained positioned off to the right of my laptop - not visible at home. I used to have this problem with Sage windows. The answer is quite easy
1 Make sure the application is selected (choose it in the taskbar, or use the ALT-TAB keys to select it).
2Type and hold down ALT-SPACE, then type M. (IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are working on a remote desktop or cloud, use ALT-DELETE instead if ALT-SPACE.)
3Your mouse pointer will change to have 4 arrows and you can move the window back into view.
I do hope this helps people.

View solution in original post