Power Query editor

Copper Contributor
It would be very useful to have a row count at the bottom of the power query editor, similar to power bi.

Is that possible?

Thanks
7 Replies

@Lanxama3018 

What exactly do you mean ?

Excel:

image.png

Power BI Desktop:

image.png

Sorry I should have been more specific, in power query, in the data view, it shows the exact number of rows in the datatable.
It would be handy to see the exact row count in the query editor view.

@Lanxama3018 

Screenshots above are from Power Query editor.

Thanks Sergei,
Yes agreed, but it says 999+ rows when over a thousand. However in power bi data view, at the bottom of the screen it states the exact amount of rows in the dataset.
It would be good to have this in power query editor, instead of the 999+, as I’m building a large dataset by merging.

Thanks
Oliver

@Lanxama3018 

Oliver, Power BI Desktop Data view is actually shows you data model table. That's not Power Query. If in Excel you open data model with Power Pivot it also shows full number of records.

image.png

Thanks Sergei,

That’s my point, it would be very handy to have this view of the exact amount of rows in the editor pane, so you can assess the roe count whilst editing and not have to go to the pivot after. For instance when I merge a large dataset with another, and I have a rough idea what the row count should be, it would be immediately obvious (if I could see the exact row count) if the merge had caused any rows to duplicate.
Thanks Oli

@Lanxama3018 

So, we speak about Power Query editor, not about difference between Excel and Power BI Desktop. If Power Query doesn't load result to data model (e.g. connection only mode) in both we have only Power Query editor to check. If we load to data model, in both we may work further with data model, the only entry points are different.

For both in Power Query editor we may see number of values in the column if shift column profiling base from first 1000 rows on entire data set rows and keep active Column Profile in View tab. That is actually number of rows.

image.png 

If by default evaluate preview based on entire data set performance could be decreased dramatically. Both for Power BI Desktop and Excel, doesn't matter.