Power Query: create sql dynamic match on multiple columns

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am looking to fetch data from DB using SQL containing a dynamic match on 5 columns from an input table in power query. Let me explain in details.

Say I have a table like the below one where user inputs to filter the data from SQL DB on multiple values. I am looking to write a SQL with a WHERE clause that is a combination of all the below matches.

CityStoreCategoryLine
Chennai   
ChennaiA100B5 
 A100B9 
  B6 
  B6102
London B6 
 A200 600

SELECT city, store, category, line

FROM sample_table

I am only working with PQ for about 2 weeks now, excuse my lack of knowledge if this is something straight forward. Thanks in advance.

6 Replies
Bump.. need to solve this quickly

Hi @yashsam 

To clarify "that is a combination of all the below matches", could you post the exact query string (inc. any simple/double quotes) you want to pass to SQL Server with the below input Table?

_Screenshot.png

Thanks for offering to help :)

SELECT * city, store, category, line
FROM sample_table
WHERE city = 'Chennai'
OR city & store & category = 'ChennaiA100B5'

Looking to add one condition per row

In this case I understand the rows returned by the second condition is a subset of the first one. But it I expect a minimum of 30 different combinations when going live. Any of the fields could be left blank.

@yashsam 

with below inputs

_Screenshot.png

the attached query generates string:

SELECT * City, Store, Category, Line
FROM sample_table
WHERE City = 'Chennai' 
   OR City & Store & Category = 'ChennaiA100B5' 
   OR Store & Category = 'A100B9' 
   OR Category = 'B6' 
   OR Category & Line = 'B6102' 
   OR Line = '500' 
   OR Line = '607' 
   OR City & Category = 'LondonB6' 
   OR Store & Line = 'A200600'

Note that the query generating the string (SqlQueryString) relies on function query CombineFieldValues. If necessary it's possible to move into SqlQueryString

@yashsam
Just updated my previous post with a revised version of the SqlQueryString query. Same output but a bit cleaner

@yashsam 

Re. Bump.. need to solve this quickly

No news. Suspect one of the proposals you got solved the issue

There's a Mark as response at the bottom of each reply you get. Clicking one helps those who search...