Power Pivot in Excel 2019 - From other Sources button wont work

Copper Contributor

Hi guys,

I have recently upgrade my Microsoft Office to version 2019. I have no idea why the "From other sources" button in the Data Model window jus wont work. I tried repairing it locally, repair online. Nothing, I hit the button multiple times, it does not respond at all. But the rest of the button like "Existing Connection", "From Database" all working fine. Please help, is anyone facing the same problem as well?

32 Replies

I can confirm it works again in 1903 - I installed it today :)

Hi Mike, can you please tell me how to install it? Thank you

If you are subscribed to Office 365 Home or Personal Editions you can sign up to the Office Insider Program. This gives you early access to the monthly releases,

If you are subscribed to one of the Office 365 Enterprise editions you can ask your SysAdmin (unless you are the sysadmin) to be put on the Monthly Channel (Targeted) program which gives you early access to the monthly releases

https://insider.office.com/en-us/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-update-channels-for-office-365-proplus

Mike

http://theexceltrainer.co.uk

FYI - I got this on another machine today that is on the Monthly Targeted build, 1902 b11328.20070 and the button works correctly again.

Yes, they returned the functionality back

This is ok but it will also load the data in a query. Same for me too. Does not open anymore and did an update recently. I wou;ld like to load in the data model ... only!!
Interesting indeed but what if we don not want to load the data in a query ... only in the data model! Hummmm.

There is no loading data in a query. It is either a:

• Connection Only query. The data is loaded for processing, but isn't stored. 
  • Load to Table. The data is loaded to a table in a worksheet.
  • Load to Data Model. Data is loaded to the data model for Power Pivot to use.

You can also load to both a table and data model at the same time. There are other options to load directly to a pivot table chart or pivot table and bypass the model.

You can see this by creating an absurdly large spreadsheet of 1 million rows. Add that to Power Query and do some transformations. Then save it but do not load it anywhere. Leave it as a connection. The file size only grows a few bytes for the M code of the power query, but the data isn't stored/loaded. It is just the steps to process it.

@annahui Same problem here...would LOVE to see a quick resolution...it's been a couple of months now and is a real pain point.

This isn't working for me, because as soon as you use PowerQuery, the data model can no longer be converted to a SSAS Tabular Model. The idea here is we are prototyping in PowerPivot and converting to SSAS. Microsoft PLEASE FIX THIS.

@Ed Hansberry We can't use Power Query if we then want to convert the workbook data model into an Analysis Services cube.  They have to be pure Power Pivot models in order for that solution pattern to work.  This is actually critical functionality that we need restored ASAP.

@Josh_McHenry  this was fixed months ago, back in mid-Feb 2019. If your version isn't working, make sure you have the latest available from Office 365. AFAIK, it was never broken on the perpetual licensing versions.