Power BI Graphs Data That Doesn't Exist!

Copper Contributor

Good morning everyone and thanks in advance for your help! 

If you have a look at the example I have attatched, there are two columns, one is time (in number format as it wouldnt plot when it was in dd:mm:yy hh:mm:ss format) -and the other is just a variable representing depth. When I put these into power BI, I create a line graph and I put Time as the Axis and Variable 2 as the Value. The resulting plot makes no sense to me. It gives values ranging from 9800 all the way to 20,000. This is incorrect as you can clearly see on the data that the values range from around 9800-10,000 ! I have no idea why it is doing this, but I cant seem to sort it out and it is doing the same thing for other variables too so big problem for me!! If you have any advice I'd love to hear it! thanks so much everyone!

5 Replies

@Rory123908 Loaded your data into PBI and noticed that you have duplicate time stamps. The chart sums the values, so every now and then the sum for a particular time equals approx. 19,800. That why the automatic axis values range from 10K to 20K.

Remove the duplicates and the chart will look like this:

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 10.13.38.png

The system doesn't allow me to upload a pbix file here. Otherwise, you could have had a look into what I did.

Hi @Riny_van_Eekelen ! Thanks a lot for that! Would have struggled figuring that out myself! Ill go teach myself how to remove duplicates now, thanks so much! All the best.

@Rory123908 You can use Transform Data in PBI.  Select the first column and choose to Remove Duplicates. It opens the PowerQuery editor, similar to the one in Excel.

Thats great! thanks! and how did you manage to get the X axis as the correct time format? did you have to do anything to the data? I was struggling plotting the data when it was not in number format!

@Rory123908 Data typed the first column to Time and just dropped it into the visual. did noting special. If you send me a direct message with your e-mail address, I can send you the pbix file.