Populate a data validation drop down list based on a vlookup formula

Copper Contributor

Hi all have a problem with data validation that no one (Yet) seems to know the answer to.

So, I have the following excel table with 2 columns (let's call it "table 1" column A & B):

Setup TOOL ID
Setup 1Tool ID 1
Setup 1Tool ID 2
Setup 1Tool ID 3
Setup 1Tool ID 4
Setup 1Tool ID 5
Setup 2Tool ID 6
Setup 2Tool ID 7
Setup 2Tool ID 8
Setup 3Tool ID 9
Setup 3Tool ID 10
Setup 3Tool ID 11
Setup 3Tool ID 12

I want to create a 2nd table ("table 2") with 2 drop down list (column A and B):

SetupTOOL ID
Setup 1 

so under "setup" in table 2, I want the user to be able to select from a drop-down list based on table 1 column A. I have done this with a simple drop list so no problem here. However, under "TOOL ID" in table 2, I want this to also be a drop-down list but that drop down list to only show the tool ID's associated with setup 1 by somehow looking up "setup 1" in table 1 column A and showing only the available Tool IDs in the second drop down box. So effectively this 2nd drop-down list should show Tool ID 1, Tool ID 2, Tool ID 3, Tool ID 4 and Tool ID 5. Anyone know how to get a second drop down list in table 2 under "TOOL ID" to produce a drop-down list based on a VLOOKUP of the available TOOL IDs for setup 1 from table 1?

Table 1 will grow over time, so each week there could be additional setups and tool IDs to choose from.

I have tried selecting "list" from the data validation options and typing a VLOOKUP formula into the "source" box so effectively trying to get excel to produce a dynamic drop-down list of column B from table 1 based on column A from table 2, but this doesn't work

Thanks Tom  

4 Replies

@Tom_Moore 

Here (attached) is an example I created of what I call "cascading data validation" where the secondary list is dependent on the first. You will need a current version of Excel, as this takes advantage of the relatively new FILTER function.

@mathetes 

Thank you very much for the useful formulas.

Nonetheless, my problem is a bit more complex as I need to input data in multiple rows of a table but formulas work only for the first row. Every time I try using the drop down list in the below rows, the option are stuck based on the first row. How can this issue be solved?

the option are stuck based on the first row?
hide selected options in previous rows?
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/options-in-drop-down-lists/m-p/3959811