SOLVED

Pop up text box in Excel

Copper Contributor

I am using Excel 2016 and downloaded an excel template.  When I select a cell, there is a pop up box with text telling me what the cell is for and how to use it.  It looks like a comment, but there is no comment in the cell.  I would like to change it but I can't find where this text comes from.

7 Replies

Can you please attach the file for reference?  it will help identify what functionality is being utilized.

It's possible to create comments with special formatting.  That could be what your seeing.  However, I can't be 100% sure without seeing an example.  I've attached an example of custom comments for your reference.

Another possibility is that you may be seeing is a textbox that pops up when a workbook event is triggered....

here's the file

What you are seeing is accessibility features for people who are disabled.  You can access these text boxes by:

Right clicking on the cell > Table > Alternative Text

Here's a link to more info on this feature:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/make-your-excel-spreadsheets-accessible-6cc05fc5-1314-48b5-...

Not all the cells are actually part of the table, so the right click doesn't provide the 'Table' option.  I tried modifying one that did and that wasn't it.  Look at A1.  When you select that cell, there is a pop up that says "Create an Equipment Inventory List in this worksheet. Enter equipment details...."  I can't find anywhere all of this text applies to that cell.

best response confirmed by Jeff Sher (Copper Contributor)
Solution

That was a tricky one.  I was able to find the setting "hidden" away in Data Validation.

Go To Data > Data Validation > Input Message

You would think it would be more straight forward:

AlternativeText.png

That's it!  I've seen that before, never used it...until now.

Thanks

You're welcome.  Always happy to help!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jeff Sher (Copper Contributor)
Solution

That was a tricky one.  I was able to find the setting "hidden" away in Data Validation.

Go To Data > Data Validation > Input Message

You would think it would be more straight forward:

AlternativeText.png

View solution in original post