Pls help me create Pivot Table example

Bronze Contributor

I want to create a PT example to demonstrate an issue and a possible solution.  But sigh, I know nothing about PTs.  I know:  I should take the time to learn.  But every time I try (not very hard; sigh), I lose patience.  My guess is:  a PT-knowledgeable person can create the example in a heartbeat; or maybe a New York minute (wink).  So I would appreciate it if some kind soul would take a moment to do that.

See the textbox in the attached Excel file.  I hope it is self-explanatory.

Thanks for indulging my laziness.  (Mea culpa!)

PS....  I hope my example lends itself to creating a Pivot Table.  If not, please embellish the data as needed so that the PTs make sense.  Also, I know that I can eschew the PTs and use SUMIF instead.  In fact, that is what __I__ would normally do, since obviously I do not use PTs.

3 Replies

@Joe User 

I did your first PT. It was so easy, I'm not sure what your difficulty is, other than an unwillingness to "play" a bit. Frankly, one usually sees Pivot Tables done with more data, more rows and columns. See the attached example of a pivot table to summarize things by category and month.

Maybe this website will help. https://exceljet.net/glossary/pivot-table

There are also many MANY YouTube videos.

@mathetes  wrote:  ``I did your first PT``

Thanks.  I hope someone can provide PT 2 with explicitly-rounded values or formulas (calculated fields?). 

I hope it's not =ROUND(SUMIF($B$4:$B$25, H4, $C$4:$C$25), 3).  That would seem to defeat the purpose of using a PT.  (Perhaps because my example is too simple.)

Yes, I know that PTs are most useful with more complex data and designs.  But when I create examples for educational purposes, I like to KISS.  "Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." (wink)

@Joe User 

I hope it's not =ROUND(SUMIF($B$4:$B$25, H4, $C$4:$C$25), 3).  That would seem to defeat the purpose of using a PT.  (Perhaps because my example is too simple.)

Bingo! Take that "perhaps" seriously: If you can get from point A to point B by doing a formula such as you've written, why make it more complicated? The purpose of a Pivot Table comes into play when the data you're dealing with, the summary you're seeking, can't be as simply resolved with a single simple formula. One of the wonderful features of Excel is that there are frequently (I would even say "usually") several ways to get from point A to point B; so unless the way you've found is convoluted, there's not a lot of reason to go looking for another. 

Yes, I know that PTs are most useful with more complex data and designs.  But when I create examples for educational purposes, I like to KISS.  "Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." (wink)

There is complex and there is complex. The example I sent you is NOT particularly complex; it just has another dimension to it and, as such, is a good simple example of where the Pivot Table helps summarize data: it creates a two dimensional array. Your examples are so simple that they don't need the Pivot Table tool.

By the way, did you even look at the resources I pointed you to?