Pivot tables

Copper Contributor

I am setting up a budget which I obtained from Nabid Mourad and when trying to use vlookuo to view month name for each month, I get an error '#REF#'.  As per Nabid instruction, I have created a 'mylist' table array to indicate the months but cannot get the formula to work - help!!

6 Replies

@jeffjm Would be helpful if you could show the file you are working on and the formula that is returning the #REF! error.

Edit: @jeffjm I believe I found the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZCBUgkVqqQ 

Two minutes into the video, he describes how to create a named range. Ten minutes into the video, he is describing how to create the VLOOKUP function, using the named range as the 'table_array'.

A #REF! error occurs when you try to call for a column index that is beyond the width of the table_array.

Check that the named range "MyList" is indeed 2 columns wide and that the VLOOKUP function calls for the 2nd column.

@jeffjm 

If you mean Nabil Mourad why don't ask @nabilmourad here. 

@jeffjm 

Hi,

@jeffjm  I am not sure what problem you have unless I see the file.

@Riny_van_Eekelen  this is a beginners' tutorial. That explains why the pace is slow for an advanced user ... When you create Public Tutorials you realize that you cannot make everyone happy (although I wish to). But anyway, I respect your opinion.
For the Named range I created, that's a Static named range, so it's normal to get a #REF when providing a Col_Index_number outside the range). There are other more advanced methods for creating a Floating named range, and @Sergei Baklan (the Excel guru) can confirm that.

@nabilmourad I had no problem with the pace. Just mentioned the time stamps so that the creation of "MyList" and the actual use of it could easily be traced.

@Riny_van_Eekelen  Please put me in touch with Nabil Mourad so I can chat with him about the pivot table and formula.

@jeffjm You can respond to the post he made earlier or send him a private message. Hover the mouse pointer over his name tag and click "Message"

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 06.38.07.png