Pivot table won't refresh.

Copper Contributor

I'm getting an error when I try to refresh PivotTable data - and it's not updating a field I've made changes to.  The error message is: "The pivot table field name is not valid. To create a valid PivotTable report, you must use data that is organized as a list with labeled columns. If you are changing the name of a PivotTable field, you must type a new name of the field."

Thing is, I am using tables with labeled columns, I've tried renaming the pivot table, the fields, everything I can think of.  Nothing works. So I end up re-creating the PivotTable over and over, but it still isn't refreshing the data.

Help!

6 Replies

Probably, you are trying to refresh a pivot table where the columns in the source data may have changed.

to fix the issue, try to remove the pivottable labels, refresh then see whether you can still find those columns in the pivottable fields.  

I have this error as well, and no columns have changed. I add a few rows at the bottom of my data sheet and I can't refresh any pivot tables at all. 

can u upload a dummy sample file?

Hey! I know this post is old, but I had the same issue thought I'd share the solution I found in case it helps others.  If I update the Pivot Table source to use the name of the table that is being refreshed (found in the Name Manager on the Formulas tab) it refreshes successfully.

Good. thanks for sharing.
11/09/2023 I just had a similar issue and it turned out my "Data Source" (Found in the "PivotTable Analize" tab) didn't contain all of my data. When I redefined my data source, everything refreshed, without the error, and all the data was included.