Pivot table won't refresh.

Copper Contributor

Pivot table won’t pull today’s numbers for each adjuster even though the data source covers entire worksheet and field is set up to count per adjuster name.  What am I missing? HELP!!!

Thanks,

Evangeline

6 Replies

Hello,

you don't need to include the whole worksheet as the data source. If not all rows are populated, that is a waste of resources.

Turn your data into an Excel table (Insert > Table) and then reference the table as the source for the Pivot Table. 

Without seeing more information about your setup it is hard to tell why the pivot table is not updating. Check the data source settings of the pivot table. 

Are you sure that the data source has the updated numbers?

Did you try pressing Ribbon -> Data -> Queries and Connections -> Refresh All (Excel 2016)? This will update your table to your database's most up-to-date data.

Do you have any filters set on your pivot table?  Sometimes filtered PTs don't recognize new items until you clear the filter.  

@Mark Fitzgerald I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this tip. I have searched the internet far and wide for a solution, and finally landed upon your comment. You just saved me from scrapping my entire spreadsheet! :) 

A hero for our time. Thank you.

@Kenneth Burns 

I was having the same problem and found a different cause/solution that people may or may not know about. My pivot table data source was from a "table" in Excel not just a worksheet. When you add a new column or row the table grows to include the new dimensions. Formulas and such also automatically extend to the new cells. It's a nice feature.

I added a new column to the right side of my table and, indeed, the table expanded and included my new column. However, refreshing the pivot table that drew from this table did nothing - it would not update. Eventually I discovered the "Pivot Table Analyze" menu and the "Change Data Source" option. Selecting this took me to my data table and sure enough, the new column was not included. Rubber-banded the table and the selection window reflected "Table 1" and everything worked as expected after that.

Hope this helps someone.