Pivot Table looses the dax Measures added - why ?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me the reason why a pivot table would randomly loose measures from the table without human intervention ? As I reviewed my workbook, confirming validity, accuracy and completeness, there have now been numerous occasions where I have had to spend time recreating the table where measure have been there and then they are not - I am concerned about the stability of continuing with power pivot can anyone please help,

Many thanks.

7 Replies

@whizzbangy 

Could you please clarify - if measure disappeared why do you need to recreate the table in Power Pivot? Or the table also disappeared?

@Sergei BaklanHello Segei, I created a pivot table from within power pivot. The pivot table displayed in excel. I added a visual audit trail of certain fields from left to right, which included certain measures. In time, I had more than one such pivot table reduce in the visual display of the measures in the pivot table, and had to add them to the table again. Please help. Many thanks.

If you want your new data to appear on ROWS, COLUMNS, or in FILTERS in a PivotTable, or on an AXIS, LEGEND, or, TILE BY in a Power View visualization, you must use a calculated column. Just like regular columns of data, calculated columns can be used as a field in any area, and if they are numeric they can be aggregated in VALUES too.

If you want your new data to be a fixed value for the row. For example, you have a date table with a column of dates, and you want another column that contains just the number of the month. You can create a calculated column that calculates just the month number from the dates in the Date column. For example, =MONTH(‘Date’[Date]).

If you want to add a text value for each row to a table, use a calculated column. Fields with text values can never be aggregated in VALUES. For example, =FORMAT('Date'[Date],"mmmm") gives us the month name for each date in the Date column in the Date table.

@whizzbangy 

So, measures itself don't disappear, they only becomes "unchecked" in Pivot Table(s) and you have to add them back to display, correct?

@whizzbangy 

Unfortunately right now can't say something concrete.