SOLVED

Pivot table cell names

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone. 

My problem is that I cannot rename the cells in a pivot table back to the original names!

Is there a method (sheet method or in VBA) that allows me to do that? 

Thank you for your help.

I just can't imagine that MS did not predict that kind of problem, so there must be a solution :D

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Jakub99 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jakub99 The method to fix this depends on the type of pivot table.

1. Data model pivot tables:

Record a macro while filtering your field for just the renamed item, you get VBA code which will reveal the original item name. The recorded code will look similar to this:

Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'

'
    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable1").PivotFields("[Range].[b].[b]"). _
        VisibleItemsList = Array("[Range].[b].&[e]")
End Sub

The item name is the last bit between square brackets: [e], so you can use that to rename the pivot item back.

If your pivottable is a regular (old-style) one, you must write some code yourself. The code below restores the name of a pivotitem of pivot field "b" in pivottable "PivotTable2" which was renamed to "wfewfeferf":

Sub Macro2()
'
' Macro2 Macro
'

'
    With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable2").PivotFields("b").PivotItems("wfewfeferf")
        .Caption = .SourceName
    End With
End Sub
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jakub99 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jakub99 The method to fix this depends on the type of pivot table.

1. Data model pivot tables:

Record a macro while filtering your field for just the renamed item, you get VBA code which will reveal the original item name. The recorded code will look similar to this:

Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'

'
    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable1").PivotFields("[Range].[b].[b]"). _
        VisibleItemsList = Array("[Range].[b].&[e]")
End Sub

The item name is the last bit between square brackets: [e], so you can use that to rename the pivot item back.

If your pivottable is a regular (old-style) one, you must write some code yourself. The code below restores the name of a pivotitem of pivot field "b" in pivottable "PivotTable2" which was renamed to "wfewfeferf":

Sub Macro2()
'
' Macro2 Macro
'

'
    With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable2").PivotFields("b").PivotItems("wfewfeferf")
        .Caption = .SourceName
    End With
End Sub

View solution in original post