SOLVED

Pivot help

Steel Contributor

Hello Experts,

I have a pivot. 

I want to add a field to the column but when I do, the appearance is not as expected. I choose "Columnar" but it doesnt change anything. 

The field is text and I think that is the issue.  

Little difficult to explain but if you open the attached file and drag in "Status" I think it will become apparent what I am referring to.  

thank you

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Tony2021 (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Tony2021 Then you need to use Power Pivot (i.e. a pivot table via the Data Model). You need to create a DAX measure that enables you to report text values (like Status: Pending/Done) in the Value field of the pivot table.

See attached.

thank you very much Riny. Works perfectly. have a good day....
Hi Riny,
I am trying to add the power pivot data source in my produciton file and I guess I dont know how to do it. I checked online but its still a little confusing. could you explain how you did that? Sorry. thanks for the help.

@Tony2021 What I did is create a pivot table and check the box "Add to data model". 

Then you need to go to the Power Pivot ribbon and add a measure. Am not sitting in front of a computer where I can do that to guide you (on a Mac, sorry). But if you find some on-line instructions on how to get into Power Pivot / Data Model and write measures, you should be able to "find" the measure I used to put the Status in the value field. If you can't, I can tend to it later or someone else can step in to help you.

@Tony2021 

If your work with data model PivotTable, Power Pivot is not necessary required. You may right click on table name to add measure

image.png

or right click on existing measure to edit it

image.png

thank you Riny. I figured it out (sorta). Its works!

@Sergei Baklan 

thank you Sergei!  very helpful

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tony2021 (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Tony2021 Then you need to use Power Pivot (i.e. a pivot table via the Data Model). You need to create a DAX measure that enables you to report text values (like Status: Pending/Done) in the Value field of the pivot table.

See attached.

View solution in original post