Pivot from CSV - new columns on refresh

Copper Contributor

I produce data tables in Julia then view them with Excel Pivot Tables.

A nice way to do this is write the data to a .CSV then use  "DATA -> From Text/CSV" to load this into an Excel Pivot.

Any rows added or altered in the CSV will be added to the Pivot on "Refresh"

However, new columns added to the CSV,   wont be added to the Pivot on Refresh.

I have to create a new Query and then link the Pivot to this.

Is there a way around this?

Can I link an Excel Pivot to a data source so that both row and column changes in the data source will flow through to the pivot on Refresh.

This would be very useful. As I look at data I always think of new columns I'd like to see. Its a drag having to create a new connection to add them.

Julia, Python, R all have tools for writing to Excel sheets (usually the workbook has to be closed).

It would be great to write directly to the cache of an open Pivot table instead. (avoid the intermediate step of a CSV or Excel sheet).   is this possible ?

2 Replies

@Lincoln_Hannah 

Any rows added or altered in the CSV will be added to the Pivot on "Refresh". However, new columns added to the CSV,   wont be added to the Pivot on Refresh. Is there a way around this?

See Power Query / Get & Transform - Missing column from CSV or Text file

@Lincoln_Hannah 

Per the comments you posted on the shared link this seems to have fixed this issue. To help others who search this site it would be nice of you to click the Mark as response link avail. at the bottom of the previous reply

Thanks