SOLVED

pie chart to show multilevel shareholder ownership

Copper Contributor

I am trying to create a pie chart (or sunburst or donut chart) to represent ownership in a company where there is a multilevel shareholder.

first layer

[company name]

shareholder a has 50%

shareholder b has 25%

shareholder c has 25%

second layer

shareholder a is also a company and has the following shareholder

shareholder a1 has 50%

shareholder a1 has 10%

shareholder a1 has 10%

shareholder a1 has 15%

shareholder a1 has 15%

shareholder b is also a company  has the following shareholder

shareholder b1 has 40%

shareholder b1 has 20%

shareholder b1 has 20%

shareholder b1 has 20%

shareholder c is a person so no further breakdown

then shareholder a1 is also a company and needs to also break down into the third layer.

please suggest how to structure a data and step by step on how to do this, thanks (I have been trying to search in youtube for this but can find the solution. thanks for all the help.)

3 Replies
best response confirmed by paarks (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@paarks Perhaps a donut like in the attached file? Personally, I don't like these types of charts. It becomes cluttered very easily and ofter too colourful. Removed all the colour to keep the formatting at a minimum.

Note that you have to express the holding of a sub-shareholder as a percentage of the total. So, when "a1" holds 50% of "a", which in turn holds 50% of the total, "a1's" share is 25% of the total.

@Riny_van_Eekelen thank you so much for this guideline, I will try to work on this.

Anyway, you also mentioned that you don't like this kind of chart, maybe you have a better idea of what chart I should use to present this info. I totally welcome your advice, thanks in advance.

@paarks Can't really think of an alternative. It's no more than personal dislike. Pie charts take a lot of space and are not very clear if you have more than four or five slices.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by paarks (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@paarks Perhaps a donut like in the attached file? Personally, I don't like these types of charts. It becomes cluttered very easily and ofter too colourful. Removed all the colour to keep the formatting at a minimum.

Note that you have to express the holding of a sub-shareholder as a percentage of the total. So, when "a1" holds 50% of "a", which in turn holds 50% of the total, "a1's" share is 25% of the total.

View solution in original post