Picking From a drop down list

Copper Contributor

Without using tables, how do I use the 'pick from a drop down list' function with figures ? It works fine with text, but not with figures. I'm probably doing something basically pretty stupid, so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ;)

4 Replies

@DannyMac784 With "figures" you mean numbers? If so, you can type e.g. "1,2,3,4,5" (without the quotation marks) in the Data Validation list box. This will create a dropdown list with numbers 1 through 5 to select from.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Hi Riny - thanks for your help my fried, that was extremely useful. 

I have another question, and I promise it will be the last one ;)

Can I stop a duplicate entry being made in a cell ?

For example, I have a column of numbers, and I don't want someone to input the same number into a different cell in the same column ?

This also applies to a column of letters or names.

If I don't want the user to repeat a name in the same column, can this also be achieved in the same manner ? Thank you once again for your assistance...

@DannyMac784 Mmmmm... can't really think of an easy way to do that right now.

I know. I've looked at probably every tool within excel, and unless I'm looking in totally the wrong places, which I doubt, I don't think there is an option to warn, highlight or prevent input of the same entry into a column. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for your help anyway Riny, it's much appreciated mate.