PERSONAL.XLSB -> Excel only reads file every second start

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm using a new PC running Win 10 64bit and MS Office Professional Plus 2016 (Excel 32bit).

I've copied the PERSONAL.XLSB file from old PC to new into the XLSTART folder accordingly.

Starting Excel after fresh restart of the PC, it opens the PERSONAL.XLSB file and all macros are available (splash screen is shown). Closing Excel and doing a second start of Excel won't open that file and macros are not available (no splash screen at start). Closing it again and opening it the third time, everything is fine again (splash screen), next time it does not show any macros (and no splash screen) etc.

I.e. every second start the macros of the PERSONAL.XLSB file are not available (and no splash screen is shown), which is really annoying, as I need the macros often and need to close Excel and start it again to get working with my macros.

I've figured out, that after first run Excel does not close completely. There is still a process visible in the task manager. It is gone after closing the second time (when no macros are available).

If I remove the PERSONAL.XLSB file from XLSTART Excel behaves as I would expect it to do. Closes always completely and no process is left, i.e. every start a fresh start (which can be seen as the splash screen appears at start-up).

Another try was to show the PERSONAL.XLSB and close this instance before closing the other workbooks in Excel. In this case, Excel closes completely and another start leads to a fresh start including splash screen and available macros. As soon as I hide the PERSONAL.XLSB and close Excel, it will behave as described above.

This is independant of starting Excel out of Start -> All Apps or by double click an file with an extension, which is linked to Excel.

As my old PC did not showed that behaviour I would be pleased to find the setting to cure this issue and get rid of two times Excel starts to use the macros accordingly.

Thanks for your support.

Joe

0 Replies