SOLVED

Perplexed with this numbers formatting....Help Please!!! :)

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I am hoping someone can assist with this dilemma for which I am faced.  I have an old log I am updating for my institution.  

In Column C, Rows 10-25 the worksheet populates the full 16 digit number entered.  However, when entering the number in Column C, Rows 30-34 it populates in the Scientific format.  Yet, the formatting in Column C, Row 30-34 is the same as the formatting in Column C, Row 10-25.  These are formatted as Text (which is how I'd like these cells to be formatted).

Would someone be able to explain why Excel is allowing for the full 16 digit number to show in the former, however, not in the latter?  Also, if someone could help me with formatting the cells to populate the full 16 digit number as text, it would be greatly appreciated. These cells are not calculated.

I've included screen shots of the formats and the file for reference.

I do appreciate any help that is given.   

7 Replies

Hi @Michael1105 

You can add any letter before the text, press enter, then remove it

find your file ready.

Hi @Jihad Al-Jarady
Thank you for replying to my inquiry. I appreciate your prompt response.
I'm not sure I follow what I need to do to format the cells. The log that was attached is the old log. I am in need of how to perform the formatting to a new worksheet that I developed from ground zero. I don't want the task of logging the number to the cell to be burdensome for the end user. I would like for them to enter the number as they see it on their paperwork and continue on without having to insert special characters to reference the text (i.e.: the apostrophe before the number).
Would you know how I would format the cells to accomplish this?

@Michael1105 

C31 is recognized as text. Check with ISTEXT() or ISNUMBER().

Solution: Goto C31, press F2, press ENTER.

best response confirmed by Michael1105 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
What you need to do is enter cell editing mode by double click on the cell C31 or press F2, then just press enter.
For the cells C32-C34 you need to change the format from Number to text.
@Jihad Al-Jarady. Thank you so very much! You have no idea how much I appreciate your help with this. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day. Please stay healthy and safe. :)
@Detlef Lewin. Thank you so much for replying to my post. I appreciate you taking your time to help me. I used Jihad's suggestion and it worked perfectly. Thanks again!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Michael1105 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
What you need to do is enter cell editing mode by double click on the cell C31 or press F2, then just press enter.
For the cells C32-C34 you need to change the format from Number to text.

View solution in original post