SOLVED

Paste and Paste Special

Copper Contributor

Hi, I'm curious what is a differences between Paste All (CTRL+V) and Paste Special - Paste all using sourcing theme? I tried with a few things e.g. copy cells, copy chart it gave me exactly the same result every time. But I assumed I should expect some differences, can anyone give me the obvious examples of these 2 options?

Thank you so much! 

7 Replies
best response confirmed by M1931 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@M1931 

Paste Special provides advanced pasting feature, such as cell content, formulas, values, formatting. It only works with the Copy command but it wouldn't work after using the Cut commands. 

The Paste Special perform the following:

• Pastes only the values in cells but not the formulas & formatting.
  • Pastes only the formulas in cells not the formatting.
  • Transpose data. 
  • Transform a range of numeric data by adding, subtracting, dividing, or multiplying each number in the range by a given constant.

Check more on Paste Special 

@M1931 Well, I guess the link below says it all. It's the first hit I get when Googling for "Paste special Excel", and there are plenty more resources out there.

https://www.excelcse.com/paste-special-excel/ 

@Rajesh_Sinha thank you for your reply, however, I'm looking for a specific example for Paste All VS. All using Source theme.  Others types of specials, I didn't have a hard time understanding it. Can you provide differences between the 2 specifics above? Thank you so much!

Thank you for your reply, I afraid the link below doesn't contain what I'm looking for. I have searched on Google, believed me. I found descriptions on many website but none of them really show the differences between Paste All VS. All using Source theme. I tested it myself, also can't see the difference between them, I'm looking for someone who able to point out differences between these two. Can you provide differences between the 2 specifics above? Thank you so much!

@M1931 

Check this Dialogue box has all possible Paste Special options including ALL using source theme, the option ALL uses everything including Paste Theme from the source, otherwise each option has specif task as listed.

Rajesh-S_0-1615539420816.png

Glad to help you,, please keep asking ☺.

It kinda is, I accidentally closed the first one without getting the answer and don't know how to reopen it.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by M1931 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@M1931 

Paste Special provides advanced pasting feature, such as cell content, formulas, values, formatting. It only works with the Copy command but it wouldn't work after using the Cut commands. 

The Paste Special perform the following:

• Pastes only the values in cells but not the formulas & formatting.
  • Pastes only the formulas in cells not the formatting.
  • Transpose data. 
  • Transform a range of numeric data by adding, subtracting, dividing, or multiplying each number in the range by a given constant.

Check more on Paste Special 

View solution in original post