Overall/Final Rank from multiple ranked lists

Copper Contributor

Lets say I have from 25 sources of the same lists of data of items that have been ranked. 

The data list has 5 items ranked from position 1 (best) to position 5 (worst). How do I create an overall rank list based on the input from 25 lists?

For simplicity sake here is the list of data arranged in the following  layout:

Item                Tom's Rank   **bleep**'s Rank  Harry's Rank    etc  etc    Overall Rank

Watch TV        3                  1                   2                 

Read Book       2                 5                   1

Gardening       5                 4                   3

Cleaning          4                 3                   4

Cooking            1                2                     5

Not sure if this is known as weighted average? Its a subjective list from 25 people with their rankings and I just need to calculate the final average ranking.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Jay.

6 Replies

@AVP68 

You can use AVERAGE() or MEDIAN() or MODE() to calculate a value for each item.

I would suggest either MEDIAN() or MODE().

@AVP68 

You may use a helper column and an overall rank, like in the attached file. 

@Detlef Lewin  I tried few of these and The MEDIAN and AVERAGE gives more accurate results and better suited. Thanks.

@TwifooYes, thanks for the file as I was thinking along the same line and it works. The RANK on the total SUM gets me the same result if applied on MEDIAN or AVERAGE in lieu of the SUM.

Thanks.

You’re welcome.

@Twifoo  Further to this, I have a final step here on the next tab sheet I just want to show the item, rank, and average summaries in ascending order by item. So what I am trying to do is on the Summary tab is have a formula in column A that will lookup the Data tab in ranked column B  and populate the Summary tab in ascending order. Likewise similar formula in column B & C.  Will this be a Index/Match with Indirect or similar?

See attached modified file.

Thanks,

Jay