Office 365: Referencing a Different Workbook in Excel

Copper Contributor

Hi community,

Does anyone know if there's a way to create a formula in one Office 365 Excel workbook that references a cell in a different Office 365 Excel workbook?

6 Replies

@lizdiluzio 

It's definitely possible. I do it all the time. Easiest way is to have the both workbooks open, and just write the formula by pointing to that other workbook. I have found it certainly works most cleanly if any related files are kept in the same folder with one another...and not moved around. There are ways to reconnect them if the connection gets broken, but why put yourself to that aggravation.

Anyway, just give it a try on a one or two formulas and see if it works for you. You can then make the references more extensive. 

@mathetes 

Thanks for your response! I know it can be done in regular Excel. What I'm asking is if it can be done in Office 365. I haven't found a way yet.

Sorry. I think of my own Excel as coming to my computer via an Office 365 subscription....so I wasn't aware of any difference. But are you referring to the solely on-line system? If so, yes, I don't know about that, but it wouldn't surprise me that it would be limited in this regard.

@lizdiluzio 

Perhaps you mean Excel Online (Excel Desktop is also part of Office 365, depends on subscription). To my knowledge external link is still not implemented, you may vote for this idea here https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/274580-excel-for-the-web/suggestions/10366332-links-between-sprea...

@Sergei Baklan  Yes, thanks for helping me to clarify. And, voting right now!

@mathetes  Ah I understand, my fault for being confusing. I was referring to Excel Online. I know they have the ability in Google Sheets and was hoping it was possible with Microsoft. Maybe one day. 

Anyway, thank you for your help!