Office 365 Pro Plus - Excel installed on RDS server keeps prompting for credentials

Copper Contributor

Hello,

We recently deployed Office 365 Pro Plus on our RDP server and purchased 5 licenses for individual users. They use Excel mainly via export from 2 remote apps. Sage and QuickBooks. We successfully launched Sage and started an export to Excel which prompted each user to sign in to Office 365 with their unique account. After signing in everything worked properly, and also worked in QB.

The issue is that Office 365 randomly asks user to re-authenticate when exporting to Excel via the remote app. This is an annoyance inside of Sage. The bigger issue is that the sign-in pop-up doesn't appear in QB. It just crashes the app which requires an admin to login to the RDP server and forcefully sign the remote user out of the server. That user then needs to sign in to Sage, prompt an export to Excel, sign in to Office 365, and then export to Excel in QB.

The minor issue is the Office 365 sign-in prompt not showing in QB. The bigger issue is the repeated need to sign-in  to Office 365. 

Is there a way to stop this from happening? From preventing the need to re-authenticate after the 1st sign-in?

Thanks in advance!

8 Replies

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Yes and no. 

Our users do not log in directly to the RDS server. They only have access to the remote apps. The sign-in window doesn't appear on a set pattern that I've noticed yet. Not when the server reboots, and not when I need to forcefully log a user off of the server. Users can only access MSOffice apps when they try to export from Sage or QB.

I did have Microsoft Support install Office 365 ProPlus on the RDS server.

In that case I would suggest to get hold of MSFT support and tell them they did a poor job, this issue should (IMHO) not exist.
Haha, the sad part is,.... I did. They referred me to this community for expert support.
Wow. Sad indeed. I have notified the Excel team about this one, I find it unacceptable.

@jonb12345 @Smitty Smith would you please help? 

Thanks,

Cuong

Microsoft