SOLVED

Office 2016 - Basic Calculations Very Delayed

Copper Contributor

Good Morning All,

I have a number of users in my company who have recently been complaining about slow Excel calculations. Initially it was a short delay, but it has since graduated to almost a minute per edit for one particular user.

Here are the details of the Machine:

Lenovo T460

i5-6300U @ 2.40GHz

Brand new SSD w/ Win 10 Pro installed

8GB RAM

Office 2016 64-Bit installed (originally 32-Bit)

Steps completed on my part:

1. SSD Upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 (LT is licensed for Win 10)

2. Quick Repair

3. Full Repair

4. Installed 64-Bit for full resource utilization

5. Opened workbook in safe mode

6. Tried on a different, newer laptop

7. Downgraded to 2013 on a different LT

8. Manual Calculations (real time data analysis - this cannot be a permanent solution) 

Finally, I should note the workbook really isn't that big. (~11MB). It can be rather complicated formula wise, but in this instance, all the user is doing is updating a column with hard coded numbers, and that is then summed at the bottom. Is this somehow related to an update on Windows 10, or Office H&B 2016, or both? 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by IamRaeff (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You might have lots of volatile functions, array formulas, and conditional formatting that make calculations slow.

@Twifoo 

Thank you for your response. I eventually found the reason, and it is related to this. There are a number of predictive calculations following what is initially visible from the user's demo. I should have followed up with a more rigorous investigation, but I have found the more complicated formulas. 

If you can, avoid all those I mentioned. I don’t simply avoid them, I eschew them!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by IamRaeff (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You might have lots of volatile functions, array formulas, and conditional formatting that make calculations slow.

View solution in original post