SOLVED

numbers in formatting v accounting

Copper Contributor

I am building a personalized itemized deduction spreadsheet and would like to to set decimals as if I am using an adding machine at the + decimal setting. I have a tremor, and wish to have my decimal placed without having to type the decimal myself. For example, if I were to type 1257 into a cell in an "accounting" formatted column, the value entered would ideally be $12.57 and not $1,257.00. Can this be done in Excel? I tried changing decimal setting by using buttons beneath the "general/number/currency/accounting" format menu, but that merely changes how many decimal places show in cells. My tremor makes data entry laborious, and eliminating the need to press the decimal button would help speed up my process greatly. Thanks for any help!! -Ginny

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Ginny940 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Ginny940,

It is possible with Excel all you need to do is goto FILE > OPTION > ADVANCE > EDITING OPTIONS

check the box "Automatically insert a decimal point". You can just enter the value and Excel will automatically place the decimal.

Below is video link for your refer

https://youtu.be/Um44m7HnqqE

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official Answer to help the other members find it more

Hello, @Faraz Shaikh

Thank You! You are an angel. The world needs more helpful folk like you, my friend. I did not see an option to mark as "official." Advise me how to find that option, and I will gladly do that, so that your response to my query can help many others as well.

Sincerely,

Ginny940

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ginny940 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Ginny940,

It is possible with Excel all you need to do is goto FILE > OPTION > ADVANCE > EDITING OPTIONS

check the box "Automatically insert a decimal point". You can just enter the value and Excel will automatically place the decimal.

Below is video link for your refer

https://youtu.be/Um44m7HnqqE

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official Answer to help the other members find it more

View solution in original post