Not calculating correctly

Copper Contributor

I am needing some help.  My formula to subtract several cells, from one cell is not calculating correctly. I have been using the same formula on different lines, works perferct. I changed number values, no will only subtract one cell.  Help please.

Thank you

Tammy

2 Replies

@tamrwolf 

You realize, I trust, that you've given insufficient information for anybody to say much.

A copy of the spreadsheet, so long as it contains no confidential information, would be the most helpful. Short of that, at least a copy of the actual formula in question, along with a description of what DOES happen.

The other thing I sort of feel compelled to say is this. You have written, "My formula to subtract several cells, from one cell is not calculating correctly." The reality is that the formula--I feel entirely confident in saying this--IS calculating correctly. It may not be producing the result that you're expecting, but that really isn't because "the formula isn't working correctly"; Excel has been around long enough, used by millions of users around the globe, that the chances you've uncovered a hitherto unnoticed bug are less than infinitesimal. Instead, there's no doubt something in the way you've written it that causes it to produce an unexpected result--perhaps a relative reference that should be absolute, or vice versa; perhaps something else.

The challenge, therefore, is to figure out why it is accurately producing a result that doesn't match your expectations, which involves getting at what's wrong with how the formula is written.

And to answer that, you need to let us see the spreadsheet itself or, at the very least, a full copy of the formula in question, along with a description of what the various cell references contain, how you've copied it from row to row, etc.

@tamrwolf , Hello, it will be difficult for anyone to understand the problem you are facing without the specific details. People here would like to see the formula you are using and the cells on which you are applying. You may attach screenshots which describe above, or better still, attach the excel file itself in your post (after removing any sensitive or confidential info.)