New custom cell styles not saving and not available in new workbooks

Copper Contributor

I'm on Windows 11 and this is the version information about the version of excel I'm using:
Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2202 Build 16.0.14931.20128) 64-bit

I am trying to create a custom cell style and save it in a template so that when I create new workbooks the new custom cell style will be available in the new workbooks.

I found this article on how to do this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/save-cell-styles-to-use-in-all-new-workbooks-0b3905c5-45d...

I have followed the instructions exactly, but when I close Excel and re-start it, then create a new workbook, the new custom cell style is not available in the new workbook (on the ribbon navigating to Home>Styles section). 

Can I get some insight here as to why this procedure is not working as expected?

1 Reply

@BrendonDavies565 

I had the same problem and found this article helpful: Microsoft Excel: How to Customize the Default Excel Workbook.

Essentially, two locations have an XLSTART folder. One is in your user app settings and one in the program folder. To solve the issue, I did the following.

1. Saved my "book.xltx" in  C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\
  2. Save another copy of my "book.xltx" in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\XLSTART\
  3. I unchecked the setting "Show the Start screen when this application starts." The checkbox is at the bottom of the general tab in the Excel options.

If you don't want to turn off the start screen, you must press Ctrl-N to open a new workbook with your template.

I hope this helps!

Nick