Nested if statement multiple sheets

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I'm trying to create a nested IF statement as follows, the following formula works correctly and as expected:

=IF($D$2="points",$C$5*$G$7,IF($D$2="Discount or GWP",$C$6,IF($D$2="Cash Reward or Cashback",$C$7*$G$7*100)))

However when I try and use the following formula, the only change is the bit in Orange/ Bold the formula then triggers and error and doesn't work: 

=IF($C$2="Points",$C$6*'Business Case Refs'!B2,IF($C$2="Discount or GWP",$C$7,IF($C$2="Cash Reward or Cashback",$C$9*'Business Case Refs'!B2*100))) 

I'm not entirely sure why this doesn't carry over, the cells are all the same format (Currency) and the only obvious thing I can see if that the cell is on another sheet but I don't think that should cause a problem?

Anything I can try?

Thanks 

5 Replies

@jharrison266 

The formula is OK. Make sure that you have spelled the sheet name correctly. Could it perhaps be "Business Case Refs " (with a space at the end) instead of "Business Case Refs"?

@jharrison266 

Which kind of error do you have?

Formulas have bit different logic.

First

=IF($D$2="points",...,IF($D$2=...,$C$6,IF($D$2=...,$C$7*...)))

Second

=IF($C$2="Points",...,IF($C$2=...,$C$7,IF($C$2=...,$C$9*'...)))

I tried this, and changed the tab name to a single word, no luck.

Also tried a simpler statement to see if it works:

=IF($C$2="Points",$C$6*References!B2)

No luck!
Hey,

The error is just #Value!

@jharrison266 

With wrong reference you'll have #REF! error. With #VALUE! it's something else, e.g. you try to multiply text on number.