Needless Feature Constantly Interferes with Data Entry While Using Excel

Copper Contributor

Just working on a simple Excel task....

Hello, I often have to correct data in excel and there is a feature in excel that is interfering with my work. I'm sure that other people that do any kind of data entry have come across this feature and are simply working around it. It took me some time before I got fed up and decided to write you guys.

So, what happens? I will double click on a cell in excel and my cursor goes to the bottom of the excel sheet data column. Maybe I accidently clicked on a line but I do not want to have to reset my cursor position every time I intend to double click on a cell. It is very annoying and it breaks my work momentum. It's like every other time I double click something in excel, my cursor just goes to the bottom of that excel column in that worksheet. I don't understand why this feature exists. It makes my life harder than it needs to be. Seriously, why? Someone, please do something about this.

9 Replies

Hi Mel,

More exactly it happens when you double click the border around the selected cell. Double click on the cell (within the border) shifts you into cell edit mode.

IMHO, quite useful feature (I mean with border), I use it quite often.

I'm sure there could be another way to activate that feature without clicking on the border, given that accidently clicking on the border happens so often. It's very easy to accidently click on the border. How about making that feature available via a keyboard shortcut, or right click and then clicking on a menu item...

I'm sure there could be another way to activate that feature without clicking on the border, given that accidently clicking on the border happens so often. It's very easy to accidently click on the border. How about making that feature available via a keyboard shortcut, or right click and then clicking on a menu item...

It's available: Ctrl+Up, Ctrl+Down, etc. In Excel practically everything could be done by few several ways.

In general right place with suggestions to add/remove this or that feature is user voice https://excel.uservoice.com/

Thanks. That page gave me a 404...

Very strange. Checked right now from the link in the post - works.

Being able to disable the double-click-on-border feature is a request that gathered many hundreds of votes on UserVoice, but never got any response at all from Microsoft. Many of the votes were very entertaining expressions of the inordinate amount of frustration that one feels when working on a huge spreadsheet, having found the cell you want to edit, double-clicking ... and ending up ten thousand cells away at the bottom of the sheet, with no way to jump back to where you came from and continue your work.

I'm looking for the most current Tech Community location where a similar aggregation of users' frustrations is happening about this issue, so that I can add my vote there. Does anyone have a pointer to something more recent than this discussion?