Needing advice as to which app to use to create a data input resource.

Copper Contributor

I've never used this resource and I'm not sure I'm doing this right, it doesn't seem to be posting.

Background:

I used to be considered and expert in Excel by my co-workers.  I was not, but I knew where to go to find answers for a formula in need, etc.  I've been retired a decade now and if you don't use it, you lose it, FOR REAL.    I have also dabbled in Access but dabble was my extent of use, never did get anything successful out of my efforts.

Data I have:

I crochet and use a popular site to download periodic reports in Excel, as to my purchases or downloads.  Information such as TYPE:  purchased, free, and a few other options, the name of the pattern, the author, the date published, the date purchased, a Note section and some are more than 255 characters) and a URL to connect to that PDF file.   There are a few more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Goal:

I want to have an interface to add pdf's as obtained and the ability to enter when needed into a "Cover Sheet" with drop downs to select a few of the categories.  

Can this be done in Excel?   If so, might I be able to obtain a push of sorts, or links to resources?

Would this be better done in Access (cringe) and if so... a push and resources.  Or are there any templates available (I've looked but have no clue how to match the templates for my desired use).

I'm not asking for anyone to do this FOR me... but rather point me in the direction of which app and where to obtain the best/easiest resources to use because I'm really at a loss here.

In advance, thank you SO much for your  time and efforts.

Sincerely!

4 Replies

@ladyck3 

Hi and welcome to Microsoft's Excel forum. I've been retired for two decades, have entered into my 80s, and am still loving to work with and learn Excel.

During my working career, I actually was given the nickname "Wiz" because of my perceived expertise with Excel; like you, perhaps, it was more that I wasn't afraid to try things out and I knew where to go to look things up. I also, maybe unlike you, had used Access and IBM's DB2 mainframe database extensively, learned SQL, and really liked relational databases.

With all that by way of background, I do think Excel can help you here, but more as a solid database which could point you to the places where you stash those PDF documents. It sounds like you already know how to create hyperlinks to do that (personally I'd be satisfied if my Excel database just stored the directory and file name so I'd know where to go look).

Drop downs for selecting from among a predetermined set of categories--those are easy.

You need to be a little clearer on what that "cover sheet" is supposed to do.

I think you can accomplish all this in Excel, yes. WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE for you to post copies of your current spreadsheet in OneDrive or GoogleDrive and paste a link here that grants us edit access? That way we could see what you already have and suggest ways to add the features you're seeking.

Thank you for your response, I agree that after some more playing around, I too think that Excel is my best bet. What I mean by a "Cover Sheet" is more of a graphical worksheet or front page where data can be entered in fields "like a database interface". However I have played with Data Validation > Lists and am liking that. Addition of new records would simply appending to the master list.

Regarding sharing my Excel Workbook, I completely understand your desire, to see the data but I'm not comfortable with that, there is too much information I do not wish to share. But thank you!!! Truly. I think that my journey is on a good start after giving it weeks of thought... so I'm going to carry on, right now, on my own.
If I get into trouble, then maybe I'll truncate the data and consider uploading at a later date.

Sincerely and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Laurie

@ladyck3 

I completely understand your desire, to see the data but I'm not comfortable with that, there is too much information I do not wish to share.

Just to be clear, it's not the data that I wish to see; it's how the data are arrayed. How you've organized the database. So yes, if and when you do post it, an "anonomyzed" version would meet the need entirely.

I think that my journey is on a good start after giving it weeks of thought... so I'm going to carry on, right now, on my own.

And doing it on your own is the best way to learn (or, in your case, to re-learn) Excel. Best wishes in this new year.

@mathetes 

You Stated:
Just to be clear, it's not the data that I wish to see; it's how the data are arrayed. How you've organized the database. So yes, if and when you do post it, an "anonomyzed" version would meet the need entirely.

My Data (which is the format the report from my resource online is formatted upon receipt)
      I will share the data as best I am able to with generic info.... and I hope this
     Copy/Paste works properly. :) Picture these of course, horizontally on a
     spreadsheet, currently 4,892 records and grows daily.

ID: 1
Type: There Are Several types
Title: Pattern name
Author: Jane Doe
Publication date: 2022-12-20
Receipt: Link to receipt 

(I added this myself not on the report, I have to go back
           and find all of these links manually.  <sigh>)
ISBN: Some have an ISBN
Notes: Actually a MEMO as some are more than 255 characters
Date added: 2022-12-25
Resource link: URL to Actual Download Page in Resource Online Library

I hope this suffices for the data you were requestion...its generic but its the structure I'm using.  

Thanks for playing :)

Laurie