Need help with tracking students completion of courses

Copper Contributor

Excel Create a list of folks that have taken courses

I have a list of students that have taken several different courses each. There are several courses for each student,

I have created how the spreadsheet should look. 

Column A is the students I need to monitor whether they have taken the course or not

Column B is a list of the names of students that have taken the various courses and the corresponding course taken is in column C.

The rest of the columns are each course taken.

I need each row to show the folks in column A, and checkmarks across the row of each course they have completed, or not. I do have how the sheet should look, if needed. This is my first time posting. thank you

1 Reply

@bobbloggs74747474b-202  I think your format is a bit odd.  Basically I would at least make columns A & B the list of students and classes and then Col C the list of students you need to track followed by your checkmark list.  

I didn't do it, but you could also auto-generate the list of all unique students from the list using the UNIQUE() function.

Based on the format you have you can use this array function to generate the entire grid of checkmarks (just past in cell D2):

=IF(COUNTIFS($B:$B,$A2:$A5,$C:$C,D$1:G$1),"√","Record Unavailable")

if you don't have array functions then you can use this formula (in D2) and copy/fill down and to the right:

=IF(COUNTIFS($B:$B,$A2,$C:$C,D$1),"√","Record Unavailable")

the array function version is attached