SOLVED

Need help to get Powerpivot download file for Excel 2010, 32 bit

Copper Contributor

I am late to the game. Sorry.  

I have Excel 2010, 32 bit. Where can I find the PowerPivot free download?  I visited, it is 64 and something for 86. 

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Sharon

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Snow_Ontario (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Snow_Ontario 

Power Pivot for Excel 2010 is available here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7609 , for 32 bit system download x86 file.

About time of shifting from 2010 to 2013 data model architecture was changed, I'm not sure if you use 2010 version it will be compatible with more latest version or not. If open 2010 version on later one Excel asks to convert data model, backward compatibility is not available. At least as it was long ago, didn't touch 2010 for a long while.

@Sergei Baklan Thank you, Sergei!  This is extremely helpful, and resolved my issue.  I installed it, and what's even best is that, I did not need to touch add on to bring it  up.  It is automatically selected and added!

What puzzled me is that, why the file says "x86", and not referencing in any where for 32-bit?  Power Query files have indication.  The Powerpivot download for 64 bit indicates 64.  Why the file for 32-bit indicates x86?  I had searched many placed the last couple days and many people asked the same questions, there are three files to select, but which one?

Thank you for pointing out that, it is different from Excel where newer version can still save older versions, it is not for PowerPivot from Excel 2010 to Excel 2013.  I will make a note about it.

Again, really appreciate your help!  I called MS Customer Services.  The representative did not know except refering me to come to Tech Community!  

Thank you!!!

@Riny_van_Eekelen   Thank you, Riny! The link includes is for MS Office 365, and most updated version. Unfortunately, mine is still older version, Excel 2010, did not come with it, and have to get download separately.  Seigiel has pointed me to the correct file.  I have successfully downloaded and installed it.  I am using it now :)

You are very kind and very helpful!  Thank you!

@Snow_Ontario 

x86 is standard term. It started from famous Intel 8086 processor with 16-bit architecture, but after that for many years 32 bits architecture was used on processors 80286, 80386, 80486,.. having common name 80x86. Program designed for that architecture are usually with simplified x86 postfix. x64 means nothing but 64-bits architecture.

If you shift on 64-bit Windows (similar for many other OS:s) you will see in system folders both:

image.png

@Sergei Baklan Thank you for the detailed explanations!  Now I understand why it is x86.  I never paid attention Excel 32 bit or 64 bit.  I never pay attention to what is used in the companies I worked for either.  I used whatever the organizations offered.  And so far, none of them are using PowerPivot, PowerQuery, or Power BI.  I have been learning them on my own time.

Is it normal to be on 32 bit? or it was the selection I made when I installed it?  I have a CD I purchased.  So when I have this new laptop, instead of buying office 365 with annual subscription, I installed my CD.  Should I reinstall to select 64 bit?  

@Snow_Ontario 

Dep[ends on goals, if use Excel as simple calculator it doesn't matter which one to use.

In general, these days 32 bit may be needed if only you expect compatibility issues (have old third-party add-ins which are not supported any more or like cases). Otherwise 64 bits.

Subscription model (Office365) provides full-functional regularly supported software compare to on-premises one (I mean parallel versions, Home in both cases, Enterprise in both cases, etc). For example, some functionality available now for all level of Office365 subscribers is not available even in Excel 2019 and could be only for Excel 2022 or so.

Another story do you need such functionality or not. If you work with Excel regularly - most probably yes. If if you don't see that now, such need may appear any day in future.

@Sergei Baklan All are very good points.  So far, only the regular data modeling and financial models, and I have not run into compatibility issues. But I will pay attention in the future, certainly.  In the groups that I have been working with, I have been the one care the most so far, and the rest are using just the basic.

Again, I greatly appreciate your insight and the help!  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Snow_Ontario (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Snow_Ontario 

Power Pivot for Excel 2010 is available here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7609 , for 32 bit system download x86 file.

About time of shifting from 2010 to 2013 data model architecture was changed, I'm not sure if you use 2010 version it will be compatible with more latest version or not. If open 2010 version on later one Excel asks to convert data model, backward compatibility is not available. At least as it was long ago, didn't touch 2010 for a long while.

View solution in original post