Need help please

Copper Contributor

Hi can someone please tell me how to a formula that will subtract cells from a starting number as opposed to the values in the cell

6 Replies

@christinemurray 

With your permission, if I can recommend. It can help us all if you upload an Excel file (without sensitive data), no picture.

Even if it is said that a picture can say a thousand words, it is certainly not in the case of Excel, on the contrary in some cases.

You could get a precise solution much faster with a file (w/out sensitive data).

This would also be a blessing for all of us, as we can understand the problem much better, a win-win situation for everyone.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

For better understanding please share some Sample data along with expected result!!

@NikolinoDE  See enclosed. 

I want the 21 at the top to reduce each time I put a date in that vertical column. so the bottom cell will reduce i.e. days left, 20, 19, 18, 17 etc. But when I do the normal subtract formula it is using the date (ie holiday time) as a value 

You were finding problem because all the cells in B2:S23 formatted as TEXT,,, now check the sheet I've first applied GENERAL format then the Formula, and filled across the Range.
Check B27:S34 also.

**Please mark my post as  Best solution as well like, if it solves the issue. 

@Rajesh_Sinha unfortunately thats not what i mean. If you look at the spreadsheet now I have entered a couple of dates in as if the individual booked these off and I want the figure at the bottom to automatically deduct each date itself. i.e. if I now enter 04.01.20 then the figure at the bottom would reduce by one again 

@christinemurray 

Here is an example file with a very simple formula.

If TEXT is in given cells then subtract.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.