Need help merging two different reports from the same program

Copper Contributor

Excel newbie here...

Our payroll company said I needed to merge two separate reports generated by their program because they didn't offer the report that I want.  A cost of labor forecast based on the upcoming week's schedule.

First - I exported a payroll report with each employees name, department, and rate of pay.

Second - I exported a report with each employees name, department, and scheduled hours.  Unfortunately the system doesn't total the hours, so they are listed daily.

I'd like to combine these reports to create a sheet that shows the total number of dollars forecast to each person for a given week of the schedule.

Attached is the sheet with three tabs.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Russ 

1 Reply

@russpga , perhaps the easiest way is with Power Query - query Rates report, after that query Hours report, group it by and merge with Rates by Last/First name, add new column multiplying rates on hours and return back to Excel sheets.

If reports are in separate files it will be similar and, I guess, more flexible - you create the merged report for such two files, after that only substitute them with new data but same names.