SOLVED

Need help finding excel formula to subtract from balance only if text box is filled in

Copper Contributor

Can someone help develop a formula for my spreadsheet below.  I need column N "Remaining Balance" to calculate the balance from Column L "Approved Amount Infusion" minus Column S through V. But the formula needs to start over again when a different name appears in column A.  If there is a blank cell in column A then that should be a trigger to start the formula fresh the line below the blank column.

Dan_Shermannavectis_0-1629043100164.png

2 Replies
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Dan_Shermannavectis Personally, I'm not really fond of having empty rows within tables and I don't understand why you have created a one column structured table in the middle of a larger "regular" table.

But, the following formula could do what you need if you get rid of the empty rows and structured table.

=IF(A5<>"",IF(ISNUMBER(L5),L5-SUM(S5:V5),N4-SUM(S5:V5)),"")

Not very elegant, but it works. See attached.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Dan_Shermannavectis Personally, I'm not really fond of having empty rows within tables and I don't understand why you have created a one column structured table in the middle of a larger "regular" table.

But, the following formula could do what you need if you get rid of the empty rows and structured table.

=IF(A5<>"",IF(ISNUMBER(L5),L5-SUM(S5:V5),N4-SUM(S5:V5)),"")

Not very elegant, but it works. See attached.

View solution in original post