Need formula help - display top 4 name list with constantly changing unique and duplicate values

Copper Contributor

Hi :)  Sorry I am having challenges programming a cell.

Column A has 30+ first names that correspond with column F which is driven by a formula summing columns G:AK with constantly updated figures being fed in.

I need to set up a top 4 output from column f to display highest value for 1st through 4th and display correct first name against each rank - please note, duplicate final values frequently occur after summation of multiple columns. 

The first version I tried for displaying name was =INDEX(A7:A41, MATCH(LARGE(F7:F41, 1), F7:F41, 0)) This works well for display name where match value of 1 is updated for 2,3,4 in following cells re 1st through to 4th.  I have used Large value count for numerical display of column f being =LARGE(F7:F41,1) corresponding with the names.

These formula are good for unique results only.

nb: I have not used $ value stabilisers on purpose at the moment as I am copying and pasting through various subsets of these groupings.

I have tried a combined index, match, countif version for a trial run re duplicate value displaying correct names re =INDEX($A$7:$A$41, MATCH(1, ($F$7:$F$41=LARGE($F$7:$F$41, 1)) * (COUNTIF(F$98:F98, $A$7:$A$41)=0), 0))

where f98:98 is the start of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th numerical value rank final cell output display from column f formulas written above - the f98, f99, f100 & f101 cells are reading there are numerical duplicates in column f and is displaying the correct duplicated value for it's respective rankings the name fields cannot provide the correct corresponding name (only the first read cell - for example if 2nd and third ranks have duplicate value with emma and kia as names for a value of 5, both 2nd and 3rd ranks show 5 but names are emma only. If I update kia to show 6, the 3rd rank updates to 6 and kias name is displayed, if I reverse kia to 5, 3rd rank updates to 5 and emmas name returns.

I have tried an iferror however this returned a 'splill#' error message.

I believe I am writing the formula inaccurately - is anyone out there able to assist please? 

Thanks kindly

L

2 Replies

@4675467 

No one is going to respond because you are not sharing your dataset or a realistic dummy file of it for anyone to help you test. I suggest you share an exact copy of the scenario of your dataset otherwise you will be testing your own data set by yourself with no help from anyone.

cheers