Naming cells by numbers

Copper Contributor

I am trying to build an application for payment in excel. There are Series numbers that each have Item numbers. I want to use nested dropdown lists but from what I can see this would mean naming a range of cells by the Item Number. I have tried to do this but it returns an error - is it possible to name a range of cells by a number or am I doing something else wrong?

10 Replies

pls see attached sample.

hope you can make something out of it.

thanks..

Thanks very much for your help. There are loads of item rates for each series - how would I apply yur method to this?

kindly attach a non-sensitive sample -- so people here can have a better view of your query.
there are many good people here that can help you.
thanks..

Hi, I have attached the template application I was working on.

I have removed sensitive info and replaced schedule of rates with made up ones.

If you look at the Cyclical Gullies tab you will see I want to select the Series Number from a drop-down which will, in turn, offer me the relevant Item Numbers & Qty Ordered for that series also as a drop-down.

I haven't included all the series and items as there are loads!

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

in sheet("SoRs") - the series number are all 500?
if that is the case, you don't have to look there - you must look at "Item".
likewise - what is the range of qty ordered you want under G1 - is it 0-5 > 5 .....
I made some revision on the sample - pls see the notations.
thanks..

it will be much clearer if you indicate on the worksheet - what you want the result to be...
thanks..

There are many series numbers, each with many item numbers. I have just selected one series to demonstrate what I'm trying to do as the issue

I have attached the template again but added another series to the SoR tab & added comments to the cells in the Cyclical Gullies tabs for what I'm trying to do.

pls see attached file.

I made revisions on what I perceived to be your query.

thanks..

pls see attached revised samples

thanks..

pls see the latest revision.

thanks..