Names in Excel

Copper Contributor

Excel is defaulting to using names in formulas.  How do I change the default to use Column letter and Row number?  

3 Replies

@MaryWSU please help us help you by providing the sample sheet and more details.
I'm going to go off on a wild guess here and guess that maybe by "names in formulas" you are creating a formula in a table and that it is defaulting to using structured references (i.e. table column names) and you are not used to and hence don't like that. May I suggest that you learn a little about them as they are not too hard to learn and offer many benefits (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/using-structured-references-with-excel-tables-f5ed2452-23...).
That said, if you want to not default that way (assuming this is what you are even talking about) then you can uncheck "Use table names in formulas" under "Formulas" in Excel Options.

mtarler_0-1636558451429.png

@MaryWSU 

Do you mean that you want to switch from R1C1 notation to A1 notation?

Or that you don't want to use table names in formulas?

On Windows:

• Select File > Options.
  • Select Formulas in the navigation pane.
  • Clear the check box 'R1C1 reference style', or the check box 'Use table names in formulas', depending on your preference.
  • Click OK.

On Mac OS:

• Select Excel > Preferences...
  • Select General, then clear the 'Use R1C1 reference style' check box, OR...
  • Select Tables and Filters, then clear the 'Use table names in formulas' check box.
Thank you Mtarler and Hans Vogelaar .... with your help I was able to change the default from using names in formulas. Best wishes!