MySQL Connection from Excel in Office 365 ProPlus

Copper Contributor

I can't get the MySQL connection to work in Excel Office 365. By this, I'm talking about the built-in method accessed from Data > Get Data > From Database > From MySQL Database.

I installed the MySQL Connector/Net 6.6.5 for Microsoft Windows.

This didn't originally work when I downloaded version 8.0.17, but if I installed 8.0.16 I did get a step further.

I'm asked to provide the Server Name. I'm putting localhost.

It then asks for credentials, and I select "use alternate credentials" and try to put in my MySQL credentials, e.g. username 'root' and password as my password. 

I'm getting an error though saying "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again".

Those credentials are the ones I can access MySQL with, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Does anyone have any tips?? Am I doing something wrong somewhere? Should my username be different? e.g. root@localhost? 

1 Reply

@adare87Depending on how MySQL was installed, it may no longer be possible to access the root account with the username and password. I'd suggest you create/use an alternate username & try again to get around that security enhancement to MySQL.